We’ve only just started to develop this website. As we get stuck further into making the film we will add a lot more. Useful tips, discoveries, frustrations, BTS Videos (behind the Scenes), so please sign up to our newsletter to keep upto date with what we are doing.
We are taking part in Euroart Open Studios. During the first weekend of June 2018 you will find us in Tottenham. If you come along please drop by our studio.
We will be handing out promotional postcards, plus on Saturday we will be running a demonstration session showing visitors how we are the film. There will also be the opportunity to see a very rough assembly of our first sequence.
Work from 70+ established and emerging artists, across all disciplines: film makers & animators, vr designers, costume & jewellery designers, painters, musicians, writers, sculptors, installation artists, photographers, printmakers, illustrators, puppeteers & performance artists.
Euroart is North London’s largest artist led art studio and workspace complex providing affordable studios and workspaces for rent by artists, makers and creative practitioners.
Open Studios Times:
Opening Night / Friday 1st June 2018 / 6pm – 10pm
Saturday 2 & Sunday 3 June 2018 / 2pm – 6pm
Euroart Studios, Unit 5 – Gaunson House, Markfield Road, Tottenham, London, N15 4QQ
Today we completed the filming of our first sequence. It has taken us along time. We started back in February it is now the last week of May.
Admittedly we only work Fridays, but even so it has taken us ages. We have learnt a lot and in tackling this scene we have started to see what our puppets can do and what they struggle with.
One major change is that we started using plasticine mouths and then very quickly switched to paper mouths. Why? The plasticine mouths need an awful lot of clean up when switching. The black plasticine in particular leaves a nasty mark that looks like grime. Okay for this scene of kids in a park but not for scenes with adult characters.
We may try Fimo, the bakeable clay for the adult characters mouths but really the paper mouths have been an adequate alternative. Plus they don’t stick out so much on the faces which means for some angles they read a lot better on the screen.
The set we built was a big one and the amount of space we had to move about in the studio was very minimal. Because it was so big we were only able to build half of it at a time. This meant leaving a lot of shots of Emily until we had finished shots of Modercai, Conor and the Little Boy.
hen after drawing out all the positions of the characters on paper we built the other side of the set. Adding other park elements, like a bench, lampposts, a litter bin and another tree. Many elements were reused but disguised by reconfiguring their positions.
Then we started filming again.
After much building and planning we have finally started filming. The space we have been using to build and create we now needed to adapt into a studio.
We blocked out the windows at the top of the room last week. Our work tables we reconfigured to serve as the base for our set building. Because of the nature of moving and adjusting the puppets we raised the work level up.
TO do this we opted for buying some animation bases from a stopmontio supplies company. I’m sure with a bit of thought we could have have made our ownr but just this once we decided to splash out. The bases are very good. If we het the opportunity we will readily buy a couple more. The top surfaces are a sturdy metal mesh which allows us to secure our puppets either using magnets or tie down bolts. When we make each puppet we take time to build into their feet M5 Pronged Tee Nuts. These allow us to thread a bolt from underneath to secure the puppets.
Starting filming is always a difficult step. It’s where the imagination and hopes you’ve made for sometime, even months or years, hits the concrete reality. Finally you’re putting things infront of the camera – hopefully the difference between what you imagined and what you see through the view finder or on a screen are not too dissimilar.
As Eren developed the storyboards I began thinking more and more about how we could use new production techniques in our production process. Something that i’ve wanted to try out for a long time has been laser cutting.
On the previous film project I’d worked on with Jimmy Watkins quite a few sets had been designed on a computer using Adobe Illustrator. From he digital files templates were printed out and pieces hand cut from card and poly board (foam core).
This time, where possible I wanted to streamline the process and save myself the task of cutting out hundreds of pieces of card and poly board. I found a local Makerspace called Building BloQs and after completing their induction training I was able to start using their Trotec Laser Cutting Machine to build sets.
In many respects this piece of equipment has revolutionised my set construction process, I can design things with very complex shapes and patterns that I would never have tried before but which the laser can cut in seconds.
The pieces that I want to interlock or connect like a model kit are now easy to configure. This also means it is easier to create pieces that can be easily assembled and disassembled.
The biggest problem now is finding the budget to pay for laser cutting time.