It took us along time to work out how to best make the jump from the 2D designs that Eren has made in his storyboards to the 3-Dimensional puppets we are now creating. In fact it is something that we spent over 6 months experimenting with.
This involved lots of trial and error. Not just with the look, but also with fabrication. Because of our limited budget we have to be very careful with the materials we use. Looking back at our early heads they all look completely wrong now. But at the time each of them helped us to find a way forward and solved or revealed many problems.
In the summer of 2017 I set Eren the challenge of making full-size puppets in plasticine. These puppets although very rough, heavy and delicate started to take on the look of the characters in storyboards and character design sheets.
After this we finally created a puppet using the materials that we had been researching.
That moment when we saw the character appear before us was a real revelation. It was like seeing the paper figure step off the page into the room. He was 3D, he had bulk, he had angles, he was heavy (something we need to work on), he looked better than the drawings.
What’s more the longer we looked at him, the more we could imagine and see how the rest of the characters and the settings in the story would look when they also made that big leap from 2D to 3D.